"Don't part with your dreams - when they are gone you may still exist but you will have ceased to live" - Mark Twain

"Do you know that this blog wouldn't exist if it wasn't for you being here to read it!?" - Bobby Gill

Monday 24 March 2008

Easter - a weekend of reflection on the past

I got a call from my friends Sophie T, Michael and Jo on Sunday evening. Sophie always call on bank holidays and Christmas to catch up. Everyone else I knew, from the days of drinking, are so busy they don't even call then. It was about 10.30pm and I thought what the hell, facebook can wait ;-)

It was a great night in town at The Cotton Factory, then on to Tokyo's for some dancing. With some classics playing it always takes you back to the 'good old days' - just as we write new chapters in that book to reminisce about in the future!

Michael asked me where I'd been recently and if I was getting picky with who I hang out with. Picky was right! Just that people have always been choosy in the past whether they talk to me or not - and now I still am picky, as I only give people time who have time for me. Those that call and want to hang out get my 'pickiness' over those that don't. Not the answer he was looking back - but the truth. He still doesn't understand the whole Tony Robbins thing and has decided to quit smoking on his own accord without 'motivation', so well done to him!

I was walking Jo back to the car when I mentioned I don't run into dick heads anymore, like I used to in 2006, I've only met really wonderful people since 2007. I then started to weave and she though I was drunk, little did she know I was avoiding the chav, with the knife in his hand, walking in the same direction - had I spoken too soon about dick heads!? Luckily, we managed to walk past and avoid him - it just reminded me why I don't go out in town as often as I used to.

My new crowd were focused on improving their lives and the world around them, whilst there were others around still busy getting drunk and fighting...

The night didn't end on a downer - quite the opposite. I'd learnt that it was always best to leave and go home whilst you were still ahead!
I also realised that I've learnt from my past mistakes and all the time I was busy chasing people and giving them my time, making me a walk over - they didn't respect it. Givers always gain, though life is about give and take. And the sooner we understand that, the easier things become.
The good thing about going through such 'learnings' is that you can choose not to repeat the same mistakes again and move forward.
People still don't know what I do for 'work' and it doesn't matter - you're probably reading this and thinking the same! My friends are my friends for who we are as genuine people, not the silly things society thinks we need to weigh others up with!

If anyone wants to call me, they know where I am - and I have all the time in the world for you :-)
If you don't, then no hard feelings and I wish you all the best with your life.

--------------
It's also great when I meet people who tell me they read my blog (Alex S. yesterday) or say I'm funny (Ettore M. and Michael), not just annoying as I sometimes think. Feedback is important in life - it shows you what you're doing right and what you need to change.
They have no idea why they read my blog, just as I have no idea why I write it - the fact that someone, somewhere does bother and appreciates my thoughts keeps me going with it.
So please do post your comments to let me know you visited and help me find out if my life is headed in the right direction.

0 comments:

Post a Comment